Thursday, July 19, 2007

July 18, 2007 - Reflections on the 100th Team in Ecuador

My alarm clock is set to ring at 6:30 AM but once again I am up much earlier. It is still dark, but the chirping birds outside the window tell me that it is about 5:00AM. At home, I would be up and about at this time as I am very much a morning person, but here I just lie in bed thinking about everything I have experienced in Ecuador and wondering what the new day will bring.

After enjoying our usual breakfast buffet, listening to the moving journal entries for the day and learning from Michelle Gran why Global Volunteers journal writing was started, we were off to our work sites.

This morning I did construction work at Calderon – twisting wires around metal re-bar rods with a special tool. I have never done construction in my whole life before coming to Ecuador and never thought I would want to but it’s really not so bad when you’re working with a group of wonderful people. One of the ladies from Calderon made it especially fun by singing and dancing – no doubt getting ready for the dinner dance planned for tonight. I thought the morning would drag on but before I knew it, it was time to walk to the restaurant “Mi Quinta” for a delicious lunch.

In the afternoon, I got to do what I looked forward to the most – playing with the babies! I thought they might be napping as they were yesterday, but to my delight they were all awake except one. Whether playing peek-a-boo, changing their clothes, or taking my name tag out of their mouths, babies are such a joy!

The afternoon flew by even more quickly than the morning – it was time to head back to the hotel. On the ride “home” I thought about which quote would be most suitable for this service program, and decided on this one because it reminds me of Mari, Global Volunteers, and the dedicated staff at Calderon and Camp Hope:

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed it’s the only thing that ever has.”

- Toni G.

No comments: