Tuesday, July 17, 2007

July 16, 2007 - Reflections on the 100th Team in Ecuador from a Returning Volunteer

My thought for the day: My life is not the same having seen the sun shine on the other side of the world.

The first time I arrived in Ecuador I felt apprehensive, as many of you - my fellow team members - did. I had no medical or carpentry skills so I wasn't sure what I could offer that would make a difference.

To be able to comfort a crying child, give words of encouragement or just offer an extra pair of hands is all that is needed of me. The smiles and hugs I receive from the children and staff remain with me long after the two weeks is over.

I am always amazed at the group of caring, generous people I am privileged to be a part of. A teacher at Camp Hope once said to me: "Thank you for coming to Camp Hope. You could go anywhere on vacation - yet you choose to come to Ecuador to help our children."

When we return home and try to explain to others the wonderful experiences of our Global Volunteers team in Quito, Ecuador, they may enjoy our stories and pictures. But the only people who truly understand are the fellow team members who hold the same special memories in their hearts.

- Barb N.

No comments: