Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday 26 July, 2010


Message of the day:

“What you do in the present creates the future, so use the present to create a wonderful tomorrow.” Anonymous

The day begins early with breakfast and journal reading. Spirits are high as we enter the bus that takes us to center 1 and 2. Our little niños await our arrival; eager for the attention we give them. In order to give my tia a break, I blow bubbles for the children to watch and catch which keeps them focused as well as stops any crying. Once the tia returns, papers are passed around for the children to place felt shapes around a circle around which the tia has placed paste. Some of the children do a beautiful job, while others have no understanding of the task. Classes are switched after 15 minutes and then it’s off to wash hands again. This routine is repeated often and it’s time for lunch.

What’s missing from this commentary is the fighting, hitting, crying, moving chairs about, and escaping from the room. Have I left anything out? Perhaps.

The afternoon consisted of teaching English, and making pockets from jute for supplies.

As I process this day’s work, and record my experience, I find new ways of looking at the world and my place in it.

Entry and message submitted by Ann

No comments: